Summer Academy Week 1 – ENERGIZE YOUR COMMUNITY
SUMMER ACADEMY 2021
The first week of Summer Academy 2021 was a success! Last week was filled with learning, positive energy, brilliance, and JOY! Overall, we had a great week filled with so much community building and we're excited to see what Week 2 has to offer!
Imani is a rising 7th grader at Student U. This is her first Summer Academy and she is excited to share her brilliance in person and build relationships with her peers and teachers. Watch Imani’s story to learn more about Imani, her dreams, and her first week at Summer Academy. Interview by Daiana and Leyla - Student U High School Interns
WEEK 1 - ENERGIZE YOUR COMMUNITY
Each week we focus on one of our six core values, this week was Energize Your Community. All students participated in a Community Service project with Swim Smart, an organization that works on drowning prevention and training young people to become lifeguards. At the end of the week we announce which students embodied the core value the most. The Winners of this week’s Core Value, Energize Your Community, are:
Samuel – 6A
Ronald – 6B
Antonio – 7A
Xavier – 7B
Jeremiah – 8A
Thaddeus – 8B
Stefanie, Emely, Adrian, & Jaiden – HS
Congratulations to all of you! Thank you all for embodying one of Student U’s core values and energizing our community this week!
During Summer Academy our rising sixth, seventh, and eighth grade students attend Summer Academy to receive instruction in the four core subject areas of English, Math, Science, and Global Connect. They also choose elective classes that range from theater to poetry to yoga. Middle School Summer Academy is designed to combat summer learning loss and support students to enter the next school year feeling more prepared and confident because they have already been exposed to the grade’s content.
Week 1 Highlights:
- Middle school students also had a blast this week! There were nature scavenger hunts all throughout campus during family time.
- The 6th grade science classes performed flower dissections to learn more about the anatomy of flowers.
- All of our middle school students are staying active through kickboxing and yoga which are both off to a great start!
- History Through Musical is learning more about the 1960’s by watching the musical Hairspray.
During Summer Academy our rising ninth and tenth grade students make up our high school programming focusing on elective-based academic enrichment and community building. High School Summer Academy is designed to pique students’ intellectual curiosity while strengthening the skills necessary to succeed in high school.
Week 1 Highlights:
- Our high school students showed up strong on Monday to discuss summer expectations and did some team building within their homerooms!
- In the Fit for Life class with Coach Newton, high school students were greeted by CrossFit instructors on Wednesday and Friday.
- In Mr. K's class, Resistance Against All Odds, high school students began getting to know each other by writing and drawing quotes and symbols that represent their lives and their beliefs.
- In Math I and Math II classes, high school students took diagnostic tests to give their teachers more insight of what they have learned so far.
HIGH SCHOOL INTERNS
During Summer Academy our rising eleventh and twelfth-grade students have the opportunity to work with the local community organizations in order to learn about and pursue their passions. This summer, interns are sharing their brilliance at the Museum of Life and Science, DataWorks, Cisco, WinSpire, Animal Protection Society, and Student U.
On Friday the interns went on a high-flying STEM Career Exploration adventure at the iFly in Charlotte. Here they learned about the different careers in the STEM field, how iFly supports NASA and other STEM-related fields, and they had the chance to experience indoor skydiving themselves.
JOIN US FOR LIFE BEYOND STUDENT U VIRTUAL TOUR
THURSDAY, JULY 15, 2021 • 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Are you curious about what our students are doing after they make it through our 11-year program? If so, please join us on the Life Beyond Student U Virtual Tour (via Zoom)!
You will learn more about Student U programming with staff and student interviews highlighted, including a live Q & A with a Student U college student, a student alum, and a former Student U teacher, hosted by Student U’s Executive Director, Alexandra Zagbayou and our college program staff.